Grammarly is an American-based Ukrainian technology company that provides a digital writing assistance tool with some useful features that can increase your grammatical efficiency. It detects spelling, punctuation, and other common errors in texts.
Essentially, all you have to do is install the plugin or browser extension and you are ready to go.
- Checks Grammar and spelling.
- Checks punctuations grammar, context, and sentence structure.
- Vocabulary enhancement.
- Genre-specific writing style checks.
- Plagiarism detector.
So now let us see what are its advantages and disadvantages.
- It checks your work and editing faster. No need to write everything out and then clicking the “check spelling and grammar” button, rather you’ll know right when you make a mistake that you have, in fact, made an error.
- While checking grammar, it ensure utmost accuracy. It is suggested to see first why it’s asking you to change something and accept only if it’s correct. Grammarly doesn’t left you by just telling you that something is wrong rather this program goes far beyond and explain the reason clearly so you can understand in order to learn and improve. So not only it is making your writing grammatically refined but you’re also learning how to become a better writer.
- Like Microsoft Word and Google Doc’s spellcheck, Grammarly will underline incorrect words or grammar and show you what to replace it with and why if you simply hover over it. This program does not force you to work with the complexities of a software and so it is apt for those who just want their writing to be free from gramatical mistakes.
- You can select your preferred language, turn it off on certain websites, as well as add new words you use often to the dictionary. This is perfect if you have any words you use regularly that aren’t necessarily real words, like brand names, slang, or abbreviations. There is no need to fix each of these errors if you just click “Add to dictionary” when Grammarly marks it as incorrect the first time. Just over the word and click “Add to Dictionary” in the pop-up box.
- Grammarly doesn’t function on Google Docs, which can be a real barrier for those of you who use this writing software all the time.
- The free version of Grammarly is very confined from the viewpoint of having features. It really only has one function, and that’s to correct your spelling and grammar.
- To get you to go for premium version, their spam-like ads and emails can be a bit irritating for people. While you can easily opt-out of their email list by unsubscribing but they still advertise to you through the Grammarly extension from time to time by notifying you to upgrade.
It has enough reasons for inciting you to avail its paid version which is really giving some useful features. Therefore let us
checkout what is the price of its premium version and the features it is providing for it.
Free Version Features
- AI-enhanced grammar, spelling, and punctuation checker.
- Browser, Gdocs, and MS Word integration
- Personal dictionary.
- 256-bit AES & SSL/TLS encryption for your documents.
- One user per account.
- Available on mobile.
Premium Version Features
- Advanced style suggestions covering word usage and sentence structure.
- Tone and formality-level checker.
- Wordiness and ineffective vocabulary filter.
- Built-in plagiarism checker.
- Inconsistent style checker.
- Human Proofreading Available (extra cost).
The free version of Grammarly only checks spelling and grammar whereas the premium version offers style and vocabulary suggestions as well as a plagiarism checker. The premium version offers style and vocabulary suggestions as well as a plagiarism checker.
It also detects ineffective word usage, including weak verbs. It also allows you to submit your writing to a human proofreader for review which attracts an extra cost and depends on how fast you want the turn around to be. It is only available to premium users.